Welcome to the website of the Belgian Worldwide Music Network.
The non-profit organisation seeks to represent the worldwide music sector and its professionals in Belgium: musicians, producers, journalists, managers, programmers, bookers, press agents, authorities, sympathizers, etc. Anyone working in, around or for worldwide music in the broadest sense of the term is invited to become a member.
Our objective is to bring the sector together, to help members meet and exchange, and to represent the sector’s shared interests. Every year, the Belgian Worldwide Music Network organizes network events and showcases.
News & update:
Belgian Worldwide Music Night 2024 – First Belgian Worldwide Music Awards
On Monday, January 22, 2024, the opening day of Belgian Music Week, the Belgian worldwide music sector celebrated the diversity and vibrancy of this exciting music scene. In the club of the Ancienne Belgique in Brussels, the sector, professionals and public, came together for 4 showcase concerts and the presentation …Read more
Who are we?
The Belgian Worldwide Music Network is a non-profit association that is active professionally in the artistic sector in Belgium. It seeks to bring people together around the following objectives:
- To create more possibilities for the production of worldwide music, on both the national and international level
- To stimulate collaborations and reflection within the sector
- To create more attention for world music in the media, in education and in politics
- To spread a positive image of the cultural diversity of our society through music
- To call attention to the situation of artists (status, fair pay, …)
What is worldwide music? Music with roots, with origins in tradition. In response to the discussion around the charged term “world music”, we now use the term “worldwide music”, which implies inclusivity, using the music fair Womex as a reference. Anything that can feature on WOMEX belongs to world music.
Worldwide music is the point of departure, but it is also an attitude, an ethics. The BWMN also stands for:
- A broad and diverse cultural landscape
- A society in which openness and tolerance are key values
- A cultural offer that reflects the society’s population and demography
- A social reality in which diversity is seen as enriching